Mexico: Polvorones de Canela



Polvorones de Canela (Cinnamon Cookies)

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar plus 1 tsp cinnamon for dusting




Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Add the flour in gradually, mixing well after each addition. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll the dough into one-inch balls and then roll them in the cinnamon-powdered sugar mixture. Place on baking sheets approximately 2" apart.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned. Cool on a wire rack.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I made these yesterday for the feast of Saint Juan Diego and they were wonderful! Mine were more like balls though. Did you flatten yours?

Chef Mom said...

Glad you enjoyed them! Yes. I used the bottom of a glass tumbler to flatten them slightly.

Rachel & Sam Stearns said...

How about Mexican Wedding Cookies? These more than anything remind me of mi abuela's home...

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying your recipe, as I have a multicultural fundraising event coming up soon!

TaraFrom808 said...

Hey I made theses cookies for my social studies project the are SO GOOD I love it, nd so does the class in fact my teacher wants me to make her some more for valentines......thanks alot for he reciped!!!!!!I LOVE THEM!!!!!!